Unless you’re in the 0.001% of people who have unbounded enthusiasm 100% of the time, at some point you will find yourself in something of a lull.
Work for works sake is never going to be you living your best life, so every so often you need to find yourself a little bit of me time and unwind. We’ve asked the Bamboo Crew here at Bamboo HQ what their top tips are for a little bit of work time relaxation, below are six of the best:
- If you have a computer facing away from prying eyes then you’ve hit the jackpot, you have the sum total of human knowledge at your fingertips (assuming web traffic isn’t monitored – come on employers, this isn’t East Germany c.1950). If you’re in the more likely position of not being so lucky then I’ve found that if you cut and paste long form articles (damninteresting.com and www.waitbutwhy.com are great examples) into Word, you can read about the Fermi paradox at your leisure whilst appearing to be working on that all important proposal.
- In a similar, but slightly more innovative, theme you can use Excel to play games. A personal favourite of mine is the ‘Minipops Excel Quiz’, something I used to while away many an hour in a past life – here are a few more, https://mashable.com/2014/08/27/microsoft-excel-games/#4q6Gk07vvuqV. The dastardly genius behind this option is that very few organisations are going stop you from running an Excel file.
- Many people find the irresistible lure of their mobile phone to be too much for them, but very few work tasks require relentless screen tapping and you’re sure to be noticed. A much better way to communicate with people is through the web portal of WhatApp, “what am I doing you ask, definitely writing an email and not making plans for the weekend.” On a side note, even if your IT guy hasn’t blocked Facebook I’d avoid it like the plague as that distinctive blue bar is visible from 50 yards.
- Take a walk to the shop, everyone appreciates the person who sacrifices themselves to get the team some Haribo. It may not be cost effective but it sure is delicious.
- If headphones aren’t a problem then why not listen to a podcast or an audiobook, just click back and forth between programmes / tabs on your browser and nobody will be any the wiser. Did I hear someone say, “listen to a whole season of Crime Town while I wait for my computer to ‘back-up’.” Don’t mind if I do.
- Come to the realisation that if you’re implementing any of the above suggestions, then this might be an indication you’re in the wrong job. If you’re a fundraiser and are tired of waiting for your dream job to appear, then get in touch with us here at Bamboo and we’ll help you take active steps to find and secure it.